Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It's Obama!


Mathematically, it is all over. Obama has all the delegates, plus (as of this writing) about 20 more than he needed to clinch the nomination. Both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama gave speeches to their supporters tonight, and I was moved by the history of all of it.

As I was watching, Hillary and then Barack speak, there were many thoughts and words that I wanted to write; about this being a milestone in American democracy. I was really proud of our country, that centuries of gender and race bias were overcome to allow both of these amazing people reach new hights of leadership. But, alas, now after dinner, discussion, and watching a lot more CNN than I really needed to, I'm too exhausted to write profoundly. Maybe I'll add to this post tomorrow when I've got more energy. (Of course, I'll be in staff meetings most of the day, and those things usually have the effect of crushing my will to live.)

In the meanwhile, you can read the NY Times coverage here: Obama Claims Nomination; First Black Candidate to Lead a Major Party Ticket - NYTimes.com

OH YEAH - I missed McCain's speech tonight. Did any of you see it? I got the impression that he may have taken some shots at Obama that the presumtive Democratic nominee that didn't go over so well with Obama supporters. Let me know if you have heard what that was all about.

I'm so psyched that Obama will be the nominee - and, if young people stay involved, the next president of the United States.

No comments: