Saturday, November 20, 2004

How we win State...

This post is mainly for my current 12th grade WTP class, but if anyone else has some suggestions, please feel free to post your comments.

During WTP class on Friday, many of you weren't there, but those of us who were talked about how we go about winning State. We know that we are on track, but there lies a lot of hard work ahead. We will do it though if we not only work hard, but work smart. So, in the best tradition of civic discourse, I'd like to have your input on how we do this.

Based on my years of teaching/coaching teams, I have some ideas. Please comment here and give me your feedback. Do you have other ideas? Things you think will or will not work? Post your ideas!

First, I think there are a few important things I can do:

1. Be hard on all of you in terms of getting those speeches written and revised BEFORE winter break. January 13th seems like it is far away right now, but it isn't with the goal that we have.

2. Require that each group meet with me outside of class once a week. I have found this time to be very valuable – fewer distractions – I can help with more specific needs. It is kind of hard to find that much time, but I think it is worthwhile.

3. Drill you with follow-up questions as much as possible. It is the most important practice we can do.

4. Schedule some good guest speakers & helpers to work with you. Brian Snure has already told me that he would like to work with one or two of the groups on Friday afternoons, which is when we have free time. I think he’d be a good resource. I’ve also already booked Julia Patterson, Dave Upthegrove, and Congressman Adam Smith to visit with you in during December. I’m trying to get some people that specialize in Constitutional law to visit with us as well. Shay Schual-Berke can also visit. Health care is her big issue (she was a doctor) and I think she can help us understand that issue.

5. Put together some events like our District Qualifier to help us practice. Maybe some of you know a group that would like to hear our presentations. I’d like to do one before winter break and one after winter break.

What we do?

Stay on top of the news and current events. Learn about important issues that you may not completely understand.

Read important historical texts. There are some readings, court cases, speeches that are important for all of us to cover that we haven’t yet. Federalist papers, anti-Federalist papers, de Tocqueville, M. L. King and others are required reading for this kind of subject.

I think Tom Ellington had two good ideas he shared with us in October:
a) each unit create an extensive “things to know” list from their unit that they share with everyone else in the class
b) each unit creates a timeline of important events, court cases, laws, etc. that are important to your unit.
I think that these can kind of be done together to save some time.

Finding someway not to forget everything over winter break and keep moving forward. Some of us will be out of town and some will be here. Tahoma has usually scheduled regular practice sessions over winter break.

Not burning out and having fun with each other as we take on this challenge. Maybe we can find some ways to have fun and get rid of some stress together.

Let me know what you think. I’m very excited about the time between now and January 13th. I’m so impressed with how much you have learned and accomplished. I’m awe-struck at the thought of how good you guys can be.

Keep the faith!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we should absolutely have to do all that. My group, me included has a procrastination problem and I think that imposing a few more requirements would be good for us. Also, a comprehensive test on certain ammendments/clauses and cases to have memorized after winter break would be a good way to make us refresh, even if were gone on vacation. We will win State.
-Abby

Anonymous said...

I think that all of those things sound good. I know that not just my group but most of the class as a whole has a procrastination problem. I think that with the work we put in for districts we did that well, we can do so much better at state with a lot of more work. I cant wait to do well, because the class of 2005 is the best. I also think that if we can pratice our speeches and questions in front of class that will get us that much more comfortable and will let us have some critiquing from our peers... I am completely willing to put in the time to do what it will take. WE CAN DO IT GUYS!!
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Hey guys this is Brett, just wanted to say Hi to Coraggio and anyone else who might read this. I was at your Districts and you all did a great job, congrats. Go kick some ass at state and win that trip to DC!!

Anonymous said...

hey all! this is Tessa Krippaehne. As a former WTP participant. I want to strongly encourage you all to listen to Mr. C's advice about preparing for competition. He knows what he's talking about. From personal experience the things I suggest focusing a lot on are KNOWING YOUR VOCABULARY. Judges really like to hear those words used (most importantly used correctly). second KEEPING UP WITH CURRENT EVENTS. there are always things going on and you never know when a judge may ask your team to comment on a specific event. my third bit of advice is PRACTICE YOUR SPEACH over and over and over. You can never practice too much. and I suggest practicing in front of a mirror as often as possible. Your facial expressions while presenting are important. You want to not only sound like you know what you're talking about but you need to LOOK like you know what you're talking about as well. I've heard great things about this class. This is MR's year! DOWN WITH TAHOMA! GOOD LUCK!