Saturday, July 01, 2006

Ave Maria Silenced at Edmonds Graduation

Does it violate the 1st Amendment's Establishment clause if a school's wind ensemble chooses to play "Ave Maria" at a graduation ceremony? Apparently the Superintendent of the Edmonds School District thought so, and now this girl...

is suing the District for violating the students' 1st Amendment rights of free expression.

All of this was in an article in the Seattle Times.

The fact that this musical selection did not include lyrics, was a choice of the students, was played at a graduation ceremony (as opposed to over the announcements) and many other factors complicate this case.

Where her rights violated? Does the school superintendent have a right to tell the Mill Creek Wind Ensemble what is and is not appropriate music for a graduation ceremony?

Sorry! I just realized this seems like an assignment for one or my classes. Old habits die hard I guess - just got kinda excited about this issue. It isn't required that you write about this in your journal or anything! :) I'm a bit "off-balanced" you know...

1 comment:

Mr. C said...

I think you have made some very good points here Brad. I'm definately going to save this case as one for us to discuss in the fall. If you find a link to the article about Muslims praying, let me know.

Thanks for visiting the site and posting some thoughtful comments!